How to distinguish moissanite from diamonds
- Material difference: Moissanite and diamond are not the same substance. Moissanite is composed of silicon carbide, while diamond is carbon. The two materials are different and their atomic structures are also different.
- The difference in hardness: the hardness of diamonds is 10, and that of Moissanite diamonds is 9.25. The hardness is different. But both are very hard, and there will be no problems such as scratches in normal wear.
- The difference in refraction: diamonds are single refraction, and ordinary moissanite diamonds are double refraction. However, some imported moissanite diamond brands can already achieve single refraction relying on their own patented polishing technology.
- Difference in specific gravity: If the weight of diamonds of the same size is 1g, then Moissanite is 0.88g, and Moissanite is relatively lighter, but this difference is too slight for people to feel it.
Here's how to identify a diamond from a Moissanite:
- Straight line identification. Draw a line on the white paper, through these two kinds of stones, the line of diamond is difficult to see clearly, the line of moissanite can be seen curved, as for other low refraction imitations, it is a straight line.
- Observe the fire. Using a spotlight to illuminate the diamond/moissanite from the pavilion, the more fire is the moissanite, the less fire is the diamond.
- Density method. Using specific gravity fluid for detection, diamonds with higher density will sink, while moissanite with lower density will float.
Precautions for identifying diamonds and moissanite
- Hardness: The hardness of moissanite is lower than that of diamond, so the scratch test on the surface of moissanite with a diamond hardness tester will leave scratches, but the scratch tester will not leave scratches on the surface of diamonds.
- Conductivity: According to the GIA report, 80% of moissanite are electrical conductors (only blue and blue-gray type IIb diamonds are conductive in natural diamonds). Common white/light yellow diamonds are not conductive, so a conductivity meter or a moissanite can be used to identify diamonds and moissanite.
- Cutting: Most of the cut moissanites have blunt ridges, which are completely different from diamonds with sharp ridges.
How to identify the authenticity of Moissanite?
It is possible to buy fakes for every kind of gemstone. Is there any way to distinguish whether the purchased moissanite is real or fake? Can moissanite and diamonds be seen directly with the naked eye?
How to identify true and false Moissanite
Distinguishing method: Moissanite has excellent thermal conductivity and can be tested with a thermal conductivity meter. If there is a reaction, it is diamond or moissanite, and if there is no reaction, it is neither. Moissanite has a higher hardness and is harder than ordinary gemstones. If rubbed with gemstones other than diamonds, there will be no scratches (avoid hard collisions with hard objects, because Moissanite is as brittle as diamonds. Can not collide with hard objects) There are the following methods to determine the true and false Moissanite diamonds: 1. Look at the thickness. Genuine Moissanite rings are thick in appearance, made of 18K gold and shaped by artificial intelligence, which is more suitable for fingers to wear; while counterfeit Moissanite rings are thinner, plated with silver and thin K gold, it will be easier after a while out of shape. Second, look at the workmanship. Each ring setting of genuine Moissanite rings is carefully crafted by craftsmen, and every detail is exquisite; while counterfeit ones are made in private workshops, and the workmanship is not exquisite and has a rough feeling. Third, look at the certificate. The certificates of authentic Moissanite diamonds are all authenticated by the authority, and all the data are clear at a glance; while the certificates of fake Moissanite diamonds are varied and uneven, and the data are falsified, and the writing and printing are not standardized. Fourth, look at the channel. Purchasing genuine Moissanite diamonds is very important through purchasing channels.
When appraising imported Moissanite diamonds, we can carry a pencil with us. After wetting the imported Moissanite diamonds, use the pencil to draw on the imported Moissanite diamonds. The real imported Moissanite diamonds will not leave traces of pen strokes, while the fake ones will not leave traces. You can clearly see the traces left behind. Then the pen can also be identified. Dip a pen in ink and draw a line on the imported Moissanite. The surface of the real imported Moissanite will leave a continuous and smooth ink line, otherwise the fake imported Moissanite will not appear. Continuous lines, in the same way, if imported Moissanite is used to draw a line on the glass, the real imported Moissanite will leave a white mark, and the fake imported Moissanite will not appear at all.
Water droplets can be used to identify the authenticity of imported Moissanite diamonds. Use a toothpick to drop a drop of water on dry imported Moissanite diamonds. Real imported Moissanite diamonds will appear round water droplets, while fake imported Moissanite diamonds will quickly disperse. Due to the single refraction of the imported Moissanite, the real imported Moissanite shines brightly, and the handprints cannot be seen through it, while the fake imported Moissanite has poor light transmittance, and the handprints can be seen through it.
Can moissanite and diamonds be seen with the naked eye?
Moissanite and diamonds cannot be seen with the naked eye because they are very similar in appearance, and only the color of poor-quality moissanite is slightly different from diamonds. Moissanite is a synthetic moissanite, most of which are conductive. You can use a magnifying glass to distinguish Moissanite and diamonds, but it is still recommended to seek professional identification.
Does moissanite turn yellow?
Moissanite may turn yellow after wearing it for a long time, because Moissanite has good lipophilicity, and if worn for too long, it will absorb the oil secreted by the skin and the oil fume from the kitchen, and then Moissanite will turn yellow. At this time, you can mix special detergent or neutral hand sanitizer with water, soak Moissanite in the washing solution for a few minutes, and then scrub it with a soft brush.
Will moissanite stop flashing after wearing it for a long time?
Moissanite will not flash after wearing it for a long time. Because it is a kind of artificially cultivated gemstone with strong lipophilicity, the chemical properties of its internal structure are not very stable. Under long-term contact with human skin, the luster of the surface will gradually fade. get lower. Proper cleaning and maintenance should be carried out at ordinary times, so that the original luster can be maintained.
The difference between diamond moissanite:
The first is specific gravity. Moissanite is lighter than diamond, the specific gravity of diamond is 3.52, while the specific gravity of Moissanite is only 3.22. For unmounted materials, it is easy to distinguish the two with methyl iodide specific gravity solution.
The second is hardness. The hardness of Moissanite is smaller than that of diamond, so the scratch test on the surface of Moissanite will leave scratches with the hardness of diamond, but it will not leave scratches on the surface of diamond.
Then there’s the polish. During the polishing process of diamonds, the polishing direction should be constantly adjusted, while Moissanite can be polished in the same direction.
Fourth, the ridges of moissanite are round and blunt, while diamonds are sharp and angular.
Lastly is conductivity. According to the GIA report, 80% of Moissanite diamonds are electrical conductors, while only blue and blue-gray type IIb diamonds are conductive. Common white and light yellow diamonds are non-conductive, so a conductivity meter or a Moissanite can be used to identify diamonds and Moissanite.
Moissanite is a type of silicon carbide discovered by Dr. Henri Moissan in 1904 in a crater in Arizona. Because naturally occurring moissanite is very rare and only occurs in craters, most of the moissanite currently on the market is synthetic. Most of the naturally occurring moissanite is dark green or black in color and is used in abrasives or electronics.
How is moissanite different from diamond
- Weight: Generally, Moissanite is lighter than diamond. The specific gravity of diamond is 3.52, while that of Moissanite is only 3.22. For unmounted materials, it is easy to distinguish the two with methyl iodide specific gravity solution (3.32).
- Fire: The expensiveness of diamonds comes from this unique and attractive fire, the dispersion index (fire) 0.044, the charm of Moissanite is that it is higher than the color index (fire) of diamonds as high as 0.104, in different environments The fire flashes presented are higher than that of diamonds and are seven-colored. Moreover, Moissanite is the same as natural diamonds and synthetic diamonds, especially under the sun, the fire is more dazzling.
- Conductivity: According to the report of GIA, 80% of moissanite are electrical conductors. Common white/light yellow diamonds are non-conductive natural diamonds, only blue and blue-gray type IIb diamonds are conductive), so a conductivity meter or a Moissanite can be used to distinguish and identify diamonds and Moissanite, but ordinary thermal conductivity Drilling pens are acceptable.
- Hardness: The hardness of real diamonds is 10 degrees on the Mohs scale, and the hardness of Moissanite is 9.25 degrees.
- Price: The price of Moissanite diamonds ranges from several hundred to several thousand. Different prices represent different qualities, and the best among them is the magic star diamond.
- Quality: The color of the main stones of Moissanite is uneven, and the main stones are sorted from high to low in D-N color; diamonds are also graded in the same way
The above is the article on how to identify moissanite and diamonds, it is strongly recommended to read. You can also read this articles at https://ekgold.com/
15% OFF USE CODE: GGA15